Our core education program consists of two seminars and a pre-op education support group.
The introductory seminar, presented by Dr. Callery, provides core information on these topics. This seminar is presented on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM and the 4th Thursday at 3:00 PM.
- General concepts of obesity and its treatment.
- The normal GI (digestive system) tract and its function.
- Operations and devices used to treat obesity an metabolic problems.
- Details of sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass and Lab-Band procedures.
- Physiologic consequences of sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass and Lap-Band.
- Results of surgery: weight loss and improvement is associated medical problems.
- Complications associated with gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy, and Lap-Band procedures.
- Summary comparison of available procedures.
- Office protocol for consultation, diagnostic testing, insurance authorization, etc.
Admission is by reservation only. Reservations may be obtained by calling 858-675-0883.
The pre and post operative dietary seminar is presented by Karen Merdinger, RD, bariatric dietitian. Join us on the 1st Wednesday at 6:00 PM or the 3rd Tuesday at 1:30. No reservation is required.
The pre-op support group gives prospective patients deepened insight. It is led by previous sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass and Lap-Band patients and moderated by Tory Boyle, FNP. This group meets on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month at 6:30 PM. No reservation is needed.
All seminars take place at Pomerado Hospital, Poway in the third floor meeting room.
We cover sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, and Lap-Band in all seminars. It is important for each patient to understand and compare the advantages and disadvantages of the sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass and Lap Band procedures. Only then can she or he decide if weight loss surgery is appropriate and can work with Dr. Callery to choose the best procedure.
Patients are encouraged to attend the introductory education session before attending the dietary education and the pre-op support programs. It is important that each patient bring her/his spouse or significant other to each of these programs. The cost of the seminars and support group are covered by the contract fee for HMO patients and by the program fee for PPO patients.
Seminars are lecture style and questions from the audience are encouraged.
To attend the introductory seminar, call us at 858-675-0883.
Please note: We do not have child care facilities and children can not be admitted to the programs. Even the most well behaved children become impatient, so please leave children with a sitter.